Gallbladder diet includes several rules to follow. People who have problems with gallbladder are often advised to be careful with certain types of foods. Indeed, diet is extremely important for gallbladder patients. Gallbladder is located beneath the liver and it is a very small organ. Nevertheless, it is very important. It is where the bile is stored. Whenever we eat something, gallbladder passes some bile to the intestine. This substance (bile) is important for digestion process. Digestion would be hard or improper if there weren’t enough bile in one’s body.
Gallstones and Cholesterol
Obese people have more chances to develop gallstones. This happens because of high cholesterol levels in one’s blood. Gallstones can cause many other complications, including gallbladder cancer. Gallbladder problems are sometimes accompanied by great pain that can become unbearable. In some cases, the only way to solve gallbladder problem is to have surgery or gallbladder removal. This is not the rule, but it happens. Gallbladder surgery is a routine medical procedure and there is nothing to be afraid of. Complications are rare and patients recover after relatively short time. It is very important to follow your doctor’s instructions. If you have had this surgery, you probably know that you will have to make some changes in your lifestyle and especially in your diet.
Proper diet is not only a way to prevent gallbladder complications. Eating the right foods can help you avoid gallbladder problems and solve the existing ones. People who have had gallbladder removal procedure must take care of their diet and lifestyle. Here you can find some general guidelines.
What to Eat
– Foods like bread, rice, fruit and vegetables are good for you. It is great to eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits.
– Foods that are low in fats are also good for you. Milk and other dairy products should contain little or no fat.
– When buying bread, choose those made of whole grain.
– Do not consume too much meat. Choose lean meat.
– Do not eat large meals. It is better to eat several small meals a day than to have three large meals. Small meals are easier to digest.
– Do not eat right before going to bed.
– Fish oil (in capsules) is also good for you. They are rich in omega 3 that are known to help in reducing cholesterol.
– Fruits like apricots, pears, lemons, apples, coconuts, melons, papaya and berries are all considered very healthy for people with gallbladder issue.
– Vegetables that are recommended are cucumber, tomatoes, garlic, celery and carrots.